Goals of D-ZIB
The overall goals of D-ZIB are:
- Increase the capacity for innovation in inland navigation and support actions in this area.
- Develop solutions to overcome market barriers to environmentally friendly inland waterway transport and improve the efficiency of inland waterway transport.
- Support the market introduction of innovative technologies in the inland waterway sector.
- Reinforce the economic and environmental importance of inland waterway transport across other modes of transport through innovation.
- Develop innovative solutions to promote modal shift from road to IWT.
- Contribute to increasing the political value and recognition of inland navigation in Germany.
- Establishment D-ZIB as a central point of contact and a neutral advisory center for innovative stakeholders in inland navigation.
- Establish D-ZIB as a source of information and act as an ‘antenna’ for innovative developments in inland navigation.
The concrete goals are:
- Support the development of efficient and ‘green’ technologies for inland waterway transport.
- Support the development of innovative logistics solutions for inland navigation.
- Support the development of innovations in the area of safety.
- Support the development of innovative financing models for inland waterway transport.
- Develop cooperation between inland waterway vessels and knowledge institutes.
- Initiate and coordinate innovation projects for inland waterway transport.
- Network inland waterway operators with a view to innovation development.
- Strengthen applied research and development for inland navigation.
- Prepare ‘best practice’ examples of innovation uptake in inland navigation.
- Improve the accessibility and receptiveness of IWT operators to innovation-oriented activities.
- Promote academic and non-academic education and training for inland navigation operators.
- Develop project development competence for operators of inland navigation.